Pasta is one of those dishes that is easy to rack up the calories with. Most dishes do NOT include just one serving. But what if I told you that with a few variations you could slice those calories from approximately 221 to just 42? What if I also added that you could drop the carbohydrate content from 43 grams a serving to just 10 grams of carbs? Oh yes it is possible!!! What if I also promised that you wouldn’t sacrifice taste at all????? Now don’t be scared to try something new like I was. I told clients about this substitution for pasta but was afraid to try it myself, until one day a client was bragging about how great it was. So I thought “I gotta put my big girl pants on and try it, I wish I didn’t wait so long. Here are the steps to making your own incredible dish of Spaghetti Squash, I promise you will love it. I made it for lunch yesterday and enjoyed the leftovers this morning for my 4 am breakfast!!! Yum Yum!!!
Ingredients: lean meat spaghetti squash (found in produce section) sauce of your liking Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut 4 small ventilation holes throughout the squash
3. Place in microwave for about 2 minutes; This will help soften the squash to make it easier to cut.
4. Cut squash in 1/2 lengthwise. 5. Place on foiled pan face down for 30 minutes.
6. If using meat for the protein source, start cooking it now. I have used lean turkey, lean beef, and turkey provolone sausage (all from www.uswellnessmeats.com- whom I highly recommend).
7. Also start cooking your sauce ( you can use a jar of sauce, watch the sugar content or make your own). I choose to chop up some tomatoes, add a small can of tomato sauce, some basil, garlic, and frozen chopped spinach and shimmer while the squash and meat were cooking.)
8. When squash is finished, grab a spoon (a fork will dig into the rind too far for this step) gently remove the seeds.
9. Now for the fun part- grab a medium size bowl and a fork. Scrape out all the insides (careful though squash will be hot). Scrape thoroughly right down to the rind . Don~t be bashful here.
10. Mix protein and sauce together and sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese if desired and Voila!!!